M-PRIME 200 - Aluminium Based Metal Primer
Is an Aluminium based Metal Primer with an extremely high solids content. When applied as a two-coat system provides corrosion resistance of more than 10,000 hours when tested to ASTM B117.
M-PRIME 200 – Aluminium Metal Primer is Surface Tolerant and can be applied to surfaces where standard preparation techniques such as grit-blasting is not possible. In these circumstances’ hydro-blasting or mechanical hand tools will be acceptable.
The product is designed to provide long-term corrosion protection for steel structures and can be applied by brush, roller, or standard airless spray. The product is typically used as a base coating in conjunction with a wide range of epoxy, polyurethane coatings, and UV stable topcoats.
M-PRIME 200 – is highly resistant to marine and industrial environments, effluents, salt water, oils, and a wide range of industrial chemicals.
- Corrosion Resistance Coating for Storage tanks
- Protects Structural Steel
- Primer for Pipelines
- Corrosion Barrier for Marine Structures
- Surface Tolerant Primer for Industrial Equipment
- All oil and grease must be removed from the surface using an appropriate cleaner such as MEK or similar type solvent.
- All surfaces must be abrasive blasted to ISO 8501/4 Standard SA2.5 (SSPC SP10/ NACE 2) minimum blast profile of 75 microns using an angular.
- Once blast cleaned the surface must be degreased and cleaned using MEK or similar type solvent.
- All surfaces must be coated before gingering or oxidation.
- All surfaces must be hydro-blasted using clean water at 12,000 psi (850bar) to NACE 5 (SSPC SP13 WJ3-WJ1).
- All oil and grease must be removed from the surface using an appropriate cleaner such as MEK.
- All surfaces must be mechanically abraded using handheld grinders to ISO 8501/4 ST3 (SSPC SP3 ST3).
- Once abraded the surface must be degreased and cleaned using MEK or similar type material.
- All surfaces must be repaired before gingering or oxidation occurs.
Prior to mixing please ensure the following:
- The base component is at a temperature between 15-25°C.
- Do not apply the material when the ambient or substrate temperature is below 5°C.
- Transfer the contents of the Activator unit into the Base container.
- Using a low speed electric paddle mixer, mix the 2 components until a uniform material free of any streaks is achieved.
- Once mixing is complete, use the mixed primer as soon possible after mixing.
Use all mixed material within 20 minutes at 20°C.
Brush or roller
- Pour the mixed material into a paint kettle or paint tray (this will maximise the usable life).
- Stripe coat all edges, joints & corners.
- Once the stripe coat has cured sufficiently apply a basecoat to all surfaces at 150 microns wet film thickness.
- Under normal circumstance 1 coat should be acceptable if the primer is used in conjunction with Epoxy or Polyurethane intermediate and topcoats.
- If a second coat is required allow the basecoat to cure for approximately 6 hours at 20°C.
- Apply a second coat to all surfaces at 150 microns wet film thickness.
|Thin film liquid
Grey solvent-based liquid
|Mixing Ratio||By Weight |
|Sag Resistance||Nil at||150 microns|
|Coverage||M-PRIME 200 can be applied in a single coat or as a 2 coat system to properly prepared surfaces.||6.66m² per ltr per coat.|
|Cure Times at 20°C||Minimum overcoating time|
Maximum overcoating time
|Storage Life||Unopened and stored in dry conditions (15-30°C)||5 years|
|Adhesion||Tensile Shear to ASTM D1002 on abrasive blasted mild steel with 75 micron profile||195 kg/ cm² (2770 psi)|
|Salt Fog Resistance||Tested to ASTM B117||10000 hours|
|Corrosion Resistance||Tested to ASTM B117||Unaffected after 5000 hours|
|Humidity Resistance||Tested to BS3900 Part F2||Unaffected after 5000 hours|
|Hardness||Shore D to ASTM D2240||80|
|Heat Resistance||Suitable for use in immersed conditions at temperatures up to:|
Suitable for use in dry conditions at temperatures